Minar e Pakistan is a minaret built to celebrate the day when Pakistan’s resolution was adopted on March 23, 1940. The leading tower of this monument was completed on March 22, 1968. The location was originally known as ‘Minto Park’. The historic meeting of the All India Muslim League was held here on March 23, 1940.
In 1960, Muslim League leaders influenced the need for local monuments to be erected. Governor of West Pakistan Akhtar Hussain issued an appeal to the people to play a role in the construction of the memorial. He also formed a memorial committee and a memorial fund to collect donations from the charity. Turkish architect Murat Khan designed the monument. The Governor laid the foundation stone of this memorial on March 23, 1960. It took about eight years to complete the tower, which was estimated to cost Rs. 500,000.
The tower rises above a five-point star like platform. The ceiling is three feet above ground level, the platform is about six feet high, and the star platform is about 12 feet high. All around it are surrounded by two ponds, four feet deep and standing with green and red marble. The tower has a spring-shaped hall that extends through the courtyard. The Rostrum facing the Badshahi Mosque is a square built with Mughal style tiles. The tower’s circular diameter is 320 feet. The petals 30 feet high appear as a blooming flower. The total height of the structure is 203 feet above the ground level. 99 names of God and poetry verses of Allama Iqbal and a short history of Pakistan, written in English, Urdu and Bengali on the central shaft’s marble slab. The tower has 10 vertical covered slabs attached to flower petals and glazed cement domes, with a tourist viewing platform and central spiral staircase.
The design of the base and the construction of the first four platforms depict the history of the Pakistan through a structural symbol. The stones used for the first platform are Taxila stones, other platforms use hammer-shaped stones. On the third platform are plastered stones, while the fourth and final platform is of highly polished marble, which marks the ultimate success of freedom of movement.
The dome is of stainless steel with fine glass pieces. There are four steps to the dome which extends over 162 stairs. The best view of the castle is acquired by using the elevator that takes you to the top of the tower. This park is a fun place for Lahories to gather in large numbers. It is often used to hold large gatherings. The location of the monument is highlighted with planned parks. At the central entrance, eight marble springs enhance the beauty of the monument, eliminating waterfalls with the help of multi-colored lights.